Where all the places come together!

There are places out there that most people don't get to see. And I want to go to those places and would like others to see where I go. This is where you can! Let me know of any cool ideas of more places to visit!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Where it started




During March of 2010 I wanted to see places that have alot of beauty.  I decided to take a look on Google Earth to find a few places that would be interesting to visit.  I found one.  The Newfoundland Mountains in Box Elder County in Utah.  It is an Isolated island like mountains range west of the Great Salt Lake.


When the Road Hits the Mountain
Near the Entrence of the
Newfoundland Mountains

-Before you leave make sure you tell someone where you are going, and when you will be back!  Bring plenty of water and all the tools that you may need if your truck breaks down.  The mountain range is extremely remote and if you get stuck out there, you will be in for a long wait!

Ok, so did my research, and we drove to the mountain range. The Route I took is from salt lake city.  Get on I-80 West and drive 57 miles.  Take exit 62 and stay to the right.  Head north on the lakeside highway until you reach a well grated dirt road (about 30 miles).  Take the dirt road, you will notice a sign that talks about the test and training range that talks about not leaving the roadway.  From there go north another 13.9 miles until you reach Lakeside. (note: after traveling 7.5 miles of the dirt road there will be a section that may be a bit confusing.  Just try to follow the graded road that goes to the left a bit, then turned back right).  Once you reach Lakeside turn to the left and onto the railroad causeway.  Follow this for 25 miles and you will reach the entrance to the Newfoundland Mountains.  Be careful on this part, as at times the road is littered with sharp rocks, so be careful avoid a flat tire.  We never had any problems though.  I called the DWR and they said that it was ok to use this road, although I would call and let them know you are going out there just in case if a train driver is suspicious (they shouldn't be though).  We had 5 or 6 trains pass us without a problem.  
Looking towards Hogup
Looking towards the Hogup Mountains
Newfoundland Mountains looking West
Somewhere in the middle









Once you reach the entrance, explore around.  There are some really good places to camp in the eastern side of the mountain range.  And I really would like to do the hike up to Desert Peak.  Also you can just enjoy the silence.  I am doing some research on where some springs are located for water filtration.  I would avoid taking water near any of the abandoned mines, as it may be contaminated.  I have also found out that along with the road that goes around the entire range, there are 2 possible roads that look like they go through the middle of the range.  One that goes through Miners Basin, and the other that goes through Big Pass.  Now, I have not gone on these routes yet, but I have talked to someone that has gone on the northern route, and he said that it was quite rough and would recommend not taking a large vehical through the roads.  I'll go down them and post pictures.  I'll also post a Google Earth .kmz with the routes that I have traced.  For an interactive topographical map of the entire mountain range go to:

I will be posting a PDF topographical map of the area as soon as I figure out how to.  If anyone knows how please let me know.


Strongs Knob
Strongs Knob

On the way back we looked to our left and saw Strongs Knob.  An island of the Great Salt Lake that usually isn't surrounded by water.  Looks like really great climbing, and rappelling.  And great views from the top.  Someday I would stand at the top, and that day will still come.  Same with the day that I return to the Newfoundland Mountains, ready for more exploration!




No comments:

Post a Comment